ARM servers and Rasp Pi (Was: Lack of open source shown as negative part of D on Dr. Dobbs)

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed May 9 21:35:32 PDT 2012

"Joseph Rushton Wakeling" <joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net> wrote in message
news:mailman.476.1336601495.24740.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On 09/05/12 23:38, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Especially if/when we finally get good support for ARM-based phones
>> and tablets (back in my day, we called them PDAs), as that would be
>> completely non-DMD.
>
> Yea, ARM support seems important to me too, both for phones, tablets etc.
> and for much of the new upcoming server solutions.

Really? ARM servers? This is the first I've heard of it. (Intel must be
crapping themselves.)

>I also fancy coding with D on a Raspberry Pi. :-)

Me too! Imagine how much more power you could get out of it using D instead
of the packed-in Python.

But I think the big bottleneck there is actually *getting* a Raspberry Pi ;)
Seriously, I heard that some lucky few had actually gotten theirs a while
ago, so I went looking to get in line for one (expecting there would still
be quite a delay between ordering and shipping). But there's so much
interest, nobody's even accepting preorders anymore. All you can do is get
on a list to be notified of updates to availability. Apperently, even the
preorders that *have* gone through are backlogged to at least the middle of
summer.

Just as well, I guess: Even if I had one today, it'd probably be quite
awhile before I'd even have the time to play with it anyway. And if I do get
time, there's a VM image of it you can download and play with (which I got
and still haven't looked at ;) ).