Constraints

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu May 10 10:44:38 PDT 2012

On May 10, 2012, at 7:46 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> On 5/10/12 4:41 AM, "İbrahim Gökhan YANIKLAR" <yanikibo at gmail.com>" wrote:
>
> Unrelated, but your name appears in Thunderbird as
>
> =?UTF-8?B?IsSwYnJhaGltIEfDtmtoYW4=?= YANIKLAR"
>
> I think this is Thunderbird's fault because forum.dlang.org shows it properly. Nevertheless I thought you should know.

I haven't seen an email client yet that fully supports Q-encoding (well, except the one I wrote of course ;-)).  At a glance, that looks correctly formatted.  In short, the underlying data is in UTF-8, and the "B" means that the payload is encoded as Base64.  If anyone cares to file a bug with Thunderbird, it's RFC 2047.  To be fair to the Thunderbird folks, the problem may actually be that they're doing the full RFC required validation to determine if something is Q-encoded.  The sad truth is that basically no clients obey all the formatting rules, and nearly all the required validation has to be disabled or a huge percentage of stuff meant to be Q-encoded is rejected as invalid and displayed as-is.