What library functionality would you most like to see in D?

Sean Cavanaugh WorksOnMyMachine at gmail.com
Thu May 10 23:44:41 PDT 2012

On 5/10/2012 12:49 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2011, at 10:27 PM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>
>> I think that it would be useful to query the community for what piece of
>> library functionality they don't currently have in D and would most like to
>> see. For instance, there is no official logging framework in D or any 3rd party
>> libraries which do it AFAIK. So, that could be one type of functionality that
>> you may like to see. Now, there is a prospective implementation for std.log
>> which shouldn't be all that far away from being reviewed, so listing that here
>> wouldn't be all that useful, since it's on its way. But what other major
>> functionality do you miss in D that other languages' that you use have
>> available in their libraries?
>

> I can't say that these exist in other standard libraries either, but I want:
>
> 1. A high-performance sockets API.
> 2. A robust logging tool (ie. Boost.Log).

The whole windows SDK (all the C functions, all the COM stuff).   The
defaults in dmd are rather limited, and even the win32 bindings project
on dsource.org has a lot of hole being a port from Ming that is only up
to WinXP levels for the most part.

I would imagine parsing the sdk headers and turning it into a language
neutral database that could be annotated with language specific metadata
would be rather useful, especially as other languages and toolchains
could all benefit from being able to make their own bindings from it.