GDMD

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Fri May 11 02:47:21 PDT 2012

On 10 May 2012 20:18, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 05:42:22PM +0100, Iain Buclaw wrote:

>> > [...]
>> >
>> > I see. Is there anything that I can help with? I do have upload
>> > privileges to the Debian queue. I don't know if I'd be stepping on
>> > the toes of the GCC maintainers though (I assume gdc would be under
>> > their umbrella?).
>> >

>> Not at all - infact, I've had Matthias informing me every step of the
>> way where GCC has got to (a gentle hint that I'm being chased to
>> update the build package).
>
> Sorry I didn't quite understand you, so it's OK for me to upload gdc
> independently of the GCC team then?

If you have a package ready, bounce it through Matthias and he'll take
care of the rest.

>> If you need his details, I'd be happy to pass them onto you and give
>> you a rundown of how the 4.6 debian build is structured - the package
>> in debian will float down to ubuntu in due course over the next
>> release.
> [...]
>
> I'd like to know how to build the latest gdc from source, even if just
> for my personal use (I just ran into a nasty 64-bit bug in dmd, but my
> current outdated version of gdc doesn't support the new std.regex which
> I need, so I'm stuck). I can also upload the package if that would help
> move things along on this front.
>
> Thanks for all your work on gdc!!

First off, ensure you have all dependencies installed - this is
important otherwise you may spend hours wondering why something
doesn't work.  Personally for me it's as easy as ./configure
--enable-language=d && make.  For Debian and Ubuntu when building from
vanilla gcc sources, you need to add two new environmental variables
in your ~/.bashrc so that the installed compiler is able to find the
multiarch location of libraries.

--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';