Defining a custom *constructor* (not initializer!)

Mehrdad wfunction at hotmail.com
Fri May 11 07:31:26 PDT 2012

On Friday, 11 May 2012 at 14:20:47 UTC, Mehrdad wrote:
> On Friday, 11 May 2012 at 14:17:04 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
> wrote:
>> Yeah, but given that the subclass is calling the base
>> constructor, and the base constructor does not return until
>> WM_CREATE is received, can't the subclass constructor pretend
>> it received the message?
>>
>> -Steve
>
> "pretend"?
>
> The subclass has NO access to the window handle whatsoever
> before the message comes, so no, it can't "pretend" to have
> received the handle because that wouldn't be of any use.

Or did you mean *after* the base class constructor is called?

If you meant that: no, that's pretty useless because the whole
point of receiving a message is to respond to it appropriately!

If you miss the actual notification you can't time-travel back
and say, "just kidding, I actually wanted to do X-Y-Z when the
message came, so can we redo this whole window creation thing?" :P

That's exactly what I was saying when I said that you can't
afford to miss a message and hope that you can just change stuff
later...