D dropped in favour of C# for PSP emulator

Alex Rønne Petersen xtzgzorex at gmail.com
Fri May 11 10:47:05 PDT 2012

On 11-05-2012 19:39, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> The author of a D based PSP emulator just rewrote
> the emulator in C#, after being disappointed with D.
>
> https://github.com/soywiz/cspspemu
>
> The reasons are listed here,
>
> https://github.com/soywiz/cspspemu#created-after-4-tries
>
> --
> Paulo

Complicated language structure? Long compilation times?

wat.

The language may be complicated if all you've ever done is C# or Java,
but then you've barely been exposed to interesting language design at
all IMHO. I can agree on it being harder to refactor things in D than in
other languages, but this completely depends on how much CTFE/CT
reflection magic you're using.

Now, this being said, .NET is interesting for an emulator exactly
because he can just throw CIL at the runtime and it will emit native
code for him at runtime. This makes portability *extremely* easy,
because the CIL he emits will run anywhere Mono and MS.NET can run.
Doing a similar thing with LLVM is certainly possible, but much more
tedious.

--
- Alex