D dropped in favour of C# for PSP emulator

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 13:01:33 PDT 2012

On Friday, 11 May 2012 at 19:39:55 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 09:01:25PM +0200, Chris Cain wrote:
>> There's definitely not enough info on how to get stuff done
>> with ranges. I knew about assumeSorted and the fact that
>> std.algorithm.sort returns a sorted range, but only because I
>> carefully combed  through the libraries looking for stuff like
>> that.
>
> Again, helpful tutorials like Ali's book really need to be on
> the forefront of D. Newbies *need* to read that stuff before
> they  get dunked into the deep end of the pool that is the
> current dlang.org  docs.

  I remember reading from that book a bit on the ranges, and it
all made wonderful sense when I did. That was something like a
year ago, now I can't remember anything on it except it was good.
Not having a good link to it does hinder your work quite a bit.

>> That said, the D way is actually very well designed once you
>> discover it. Like Andrei said, the code clarifies its
>> intentions.
>>
>> Hilariously, this style also makes the code look more magical.
>>  You want to say something is unique and, thus, can be
>> legitimately  made immutable? assumeUnique. Oh, you want to
>> have a memoized  version of funct? memoize!funct. I leave my
>> friends wondering how D knew  how to do all this stuff just by
>> being "told" to. Magic API, that's  how.
>
> +1. Sufficiently advanced programming language syntax is
> indistinguishible from magic. ;-)

  http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff300/fv00255.htm

  Safe to say documentation needs to be updated and added to.
Here's a catch-22 we have here. We need those that know the
system and language and compiler to work on it and give us a
working set of tools, but we need those people to update and make
the documentation for everyone that wants to use it or it will be
a dead language.

  Hmmm... Unfortunately I don't have sufficient knowledge of all
of D to make documentation for updated and newer changes to the
language. :(