D dropped in favour of C# for PSP emulator

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri May 11 16:48:31 PDT 2012

On Friday, May 11, 2012 16:30:22 Walter Bright wrote:
> > That's definitely an example of something that depends on your background.
> > std.algorithm.any does _exactly_ what it would do in a functional
> > language.
> > How intuitive an API is depends a lot on how much the person writing the
> > API thinks like you.
>
> That is amusing. I've been writing a bunch of range/algorithm code myself
> lately, and I find it's a struggle because it is simply not how I think
> about code. I think in terms of C style loops, and solutions just pop out
> of my fingers on the keyboard. With ranges, I have to forcibly think in a
> different way, it's a lot like transitioning from walking to using a
> snowboard.

Yeah. Range-based functions tend to be rather functional in nature. So, if
you're used to functional languages, they're generally straightforward. But if
you're _not_ used to funcitonal languages, you're likely to be more used to
using loops instead of functions for a lot of stuff, and so it's gonig to be a
bit disconcerting at first. Personally, I've programmed a fair bit in haskell
(though not as much is imperative or OO languages such as C++ or Java), so
they come quite naturally at this point.

- Jonathan M Davis