D dropped in favour of C# for PSP emulator

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri May 11 17:05:48 PDT 2012

On Saturday, May 12, 2012 01:51:46 Mehrdad wrote:
> On Friday, 11 May 2012 at 21:53:06 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > I know that haskell has such a function, and there were a
> > number of complaints previously that we _didn't_ have an any
> > function which does exactly what std.algorithm.any now does.
> > It's a very functional approach to use predicates like that and
> > I get the impression that it's common in other functional
> > languages based on other's comments. The only one off the top
> > of my head that I _know_ has such a function though is haskell.
>
> Again, I know enough FP to know what predicates are, and of
> course, this is common in functional languages.
>
> Even Scheme has a 'there-exists?' function just for this purpose.
>
> I wasn't saying having "such a function" is weird -- I was just
> asking if you know of any languages in which the NAME is "any()",
> since I would've imagined it to be something more intuitive like
> "exists()" or "contains" or "has" or whatever.
> (I was giving C# as an example, because C# uses "Any()" to mean,
> "are there any elements in this list?", NOT with the meaning D
> uses.)

any goes with all. In one case, you're asking whether "any" element in the
range/list is true for the predicate. In the other, you're asking whether
"all" elements in a range/list are true for the predicate. And when you think
of it that way, it's quite intuitive. But clearly, what you're familiar with
leads you to think in a different way.

- Jonathan M Davis