D dropped in favour of C# for PSP emulator

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri May 11 21:51:44 PDT 2012

"SomeDude" <lovelydear at mailmetrash.com> wrote in message
news:bgrwgspedjiajgoesxgq at forum.dlang.org...

> I remember g++ taking dozens of minutes on a SINGLE compilation unit on
> FreeFEM++, a very heavily templated project. Large C++ projects with lots
> of templates can take several hours to compile. So one has to be very
> careful with libraries like Boost on large projects, compilation times can
> explode.

Yea, it's like compiling GCC. You may as well go buy your groceries, run a
few other errands, and go out for dinner. And I'm not even eggagerating.
It's rediculous. (Maybe it's gotten better since I last tried though, but
even so, it'd still tale a LOOOONG fucking time)

And even that's not even the worst. Mainstream videogames have been known to
frequently take at least a full day. I'm not certain, but I seem to remember
hearing about ones that took "days" - plural.

And then that leads to "incredibuild", build farms, blah, blah, blah, it's
all a big fucking mess.

The longest I've ever had to wait for a D program to comple (DDMD) was about
1.5 to 2 minutes - and that was on a 32-bit single-core.