[OT] GitHub down?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat May 12 09:55:19 PDT 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 01:34:36AM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
> news:mailman.622.1336775821.24740.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> > On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 05:48:40PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> >> Is it just me, or does GitHub (in its entirety) seem to be down
> >> today?
> > [...]
> >
> > Works for me. Are you behind a firewall?
> >

> My router has one built-in, but I haven't blocked any sites with it,
> certainly not github. Haven't even changed any settings on it lately.
>
> Although I'd have no idea what kind of crazy fucking shit my ISP might
> be pulling (Timer Warner - yea, they're not exactly known for basic
> competence.)

It might be a stale DNS entry perhaps? Try the IP address directly:

	207.97.227.239

> The HTTP request goes out to them and then...the connection just sits
> there indefinitely...doing...nothing. Nothing gets sent back, the
> connection doesn't close.

Maybe github.com got blacklisted for basic competence? :-P

> Everything else seems to work fine...Jusus christ...those stupid
> goddamn motherfuckers turned they're goddam "send him *our* page for
> every unmatched DNS request" bullshit back on, after I've already shut
> the fucking thing off twice in the last few years.
[...]

Ah the infamous DNS ad pages. Are you sure you aren't accidentally
blocking github.com by blocking those pages? :-) I used to be
overzealous in blocking IPs... used to have entire /8 blocks in my
iptables drop list, collateral damage be damned. Until one day I put one
too many /8 entries in there and things started breaking horribly. :-P

"The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate your phone 90
degrees and try again."