WinAPI grossly lacking in core.c.windows.windows

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 14:21:50 PDT 2012

On 13/05/2012 21:24, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
<snip>
> If someone wants to keep maintaning the WinAPI project no dsource, they're
> free to, but if it's in druntime, I don't know why you would. druntime is
> always going to be on any box with D, whereas the WinAPI project won't be, and
> if all of the bindings are in druntime, then the WinAPI project adds nothing.
> It seems completely redundant at that point. But there's nothing stopping it
> from continuing regardless.

How do you come to the conclusion that, if the WinAPI project is migrated, the place it's
been migrated from continues to constitute "the WinAPI project"?

As I see it, the WinAPI project would be primarily in druntime, as well as being still
available on dsource with the latest community-contributed updates.  This would continue
to have a number of advantages:

- Can continue to collaborate efficiently in updating the bindings to a new version of the
MinGW headers or of Windows.
- Those who are already working on the WinAPI project don't have to learn a whole new way
of doing things.
- Anybody can quickly get the latest updates through SVN as is the case currently.

But maybe we'd be better off crossing this bridge when we get to it, i.e. when the WinAPI
project has more or less stabilised....

Stewart.