deprecating std.stream, std.cstream, std.socketstream

Kiith-Sa 42 at theanswer.com
Sun May 13 14:53:56 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 13 May 2012 at 21:39:07 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> This discussion started in the thread "Getting the
> const-correctness of Object sorted once and for all", but it
> deserved its own thread.
>
> These modules suffer from the following problems:
>
> 1. poor documentation, dearth of examples & rationale
>
> 2. toHash(), toString(), etc., all need to be const pure
> nothrow, but it's turning out to be problematic for doing it
> for these classes
>
> 3. overlapping functionality with std.stdio
>
> 4. they should present a range interface, not a streaming one

My D:YAML library (YAML parser) depends on std.stream
(e.g. for cross-endian compatibility and loading from memory),
and I've been waiting for a replacement since the first release.

I support removing std.stream, but it needs a replacement with
equivalent functionality.

Actually, I've postponed a 1.0 release _until_ std.stream is
replaced.