deprecating std.stream, std.cstream, std.socketstream

Nathan M. Swan nathanmswan at gmail.com
Sun May 13 15:16:57 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 13 May 2012 at 21:53:58 UTC, Kiith-Sa wrote:
> My D:YAML library (YAML parser) depends on std.stream
> (e.g. for cross-endian compatibility and loading from memory),
> and I've been waiting for a replacement since the first release.

We also need better interfacing with UTFs in that. D is usually
great at Unicode, but it doesn't interface well with I/O. For
example, when working on the file-reader for SDC I had to
hand-code the check-BOM-read-and-convert functions:
http://bit.ly/J0QWVF .

Trying to make it read lazily is even harder, as all std.utf
functions work on arrays, not ranges. I think this should change.

NMS