deprecating std.stream, std.cstream, std.socketstream

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun May 13 17:00:58 PDT 2012

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 02:38:23PM -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
> This discussion started in the thread "Getting the const-correctness
> of Object sorted once and for all", but it deserved its own thread.
>
> These modules suffer from the following problems:
>
> 1. poor documentation, dearth of examples & rationale
>
> 2. toHash(), toString(), etc., all need to be const pure nothrow,
> but it's turning out to be problematic for doing it for these
> classes
>
> 3. overlapping functionality with std.stdio
>
> 4. they should present a range interface, not a streaming one

I agree with all of the above.

The only problem is, where's the replacement? We need std.io in usable
shape before we can feasibly carry out any of the above. It would make D
look utterly ridiculous if all of the above were deprecated with no
usable replacement.

If lightning were to ever strike an orchestra, it'd always hit the conductor first.