How to contribute on github?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 04:45:38 PDT 2012

On Fri, 11 May 2012 18:34:45 -0400, Alex Rønne Petersen
<xtzgzorex at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12-05-2012 00:22, Mehrdad wrote:
>> I haven't used git or github much. (Pretty much just once or twice, when
>> someone added me.)
>>
>> How do I go about submitting potential changes to Phobos?
>>
>> (All I see on there is "GIT Read-only" which I feel is read-only, not
>> something I can/know how to modify...)
>
> OK, so what you do is you fork the Phobos repo. You then set up your
> local clone like so:
>
> $ mkdir phobos
> $ cd phobos
> $ git init .
> $ git remote add upstream
> git at github.com:D-Programming-Language/phobos.git
> $ git remote add origin git at github.com:YourUserNameHere/phobos.git
> $ git fetch origin && git fetch upstream
> $ git checkout -b master origin/master

Wow, this is way more complicated than it needs to be.

$ git clone git at github.com:YourUserNameHere/phobos.git
$ cd phobos
$ git remote add upstream
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos.git
$ git fetch upstream

This should be enough to set up the dev environment in the same way you
specified above.  I recommend you use a new branch for any changes, like
Jonathan said.

Note that you must use https if you have read-only access, ssh isn't
available.

-Steve