DUDA

Anders Sjögren" <anders at sjogren.info> Anders Sjögren" <anders at sjogren.info>
Mon May 14 12:51:16 PDT 2012

Hi Gor!

Then I guess you think C++ is a completely pointless waste of
time because of C also? CUDA carries a subset of C++, while
OpenCL does not, allowing for OO-programming, metaprogramming,
etc. Adding to that, there is also strong IDE support (editing
and debugging) for CUDA, while for OpenCL I have yet to find that
(which would of course also be an issue for "DUDA"). Not
_completely_ pointless yet, right?

Anyways, the original question was about GPU-oriented languages
and D.

As a variant to CUDA in D (DUDA): If there was a way to use a
subset of D (à la C++AMP) and have that turn into GPU and/or CPU
(using the code-gen/backend of the LLVM CUDA compiler, or compile
to OpenCL as a target for that matter), it'd be great. I too
don't like vendor lock-in (CUDA=nVidia) and C++ has it's
drawbacks as a language. The alternative of OpenCL is too much
plain C for it to feel modern/productive. An alternative based on
D could really have a potential of being great!?

To state it as an open question: What would be the D way of
facilitating GPU(+CPU) programming?

Cheers

Anders

---