Is dsource .org completely deserted?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 05:38:26 PDT 2012

On Tue, 15 May 2012 11:43:42 -0400, Nick Sabalausky
<SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> I'm well aware that it's deliberate, but it's still anti-competetive,
> asinine and anachronistic. And it's not as if the whole hosting thing
> isn't
> worth anything. That is, after all, what they *do*.

Wait, can't you just git clone the data into whatever "github-like"
service you wish?  I mean, yeah, you cannot do pull requests to Phobos
unless you have your code in github, but that could just be a simple
intermediate step.

I recently switched all my private repositories from github to bitbucket
(free unlimited private repositories vs. $12/mo for 10 private
repositories), and bitbucket actually has a page to suck the code from
github *directly*  I didn't even have to do the
git-clone-locally-then-push-to-other-remote dance.  Probably the easiest
service change of anything in my entire life!  It took all of 5 minutes.

So if you like bitbucket, use that, if you like github use that, if you
like something else, use that.  But if you want to contribute to a
project, you have to use whatever that project uses.  I think that's both
very reasonable and very flexible.

-Steve