The more interesting question

Gor Gyolchanyan gor.f.gyolchanyan at gmail.com
Wed May 16 09:12:02 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Steven Schveighoffer
<schveiguy at yahoo.com>wrote:

> On Wed, 16 May 2012 10:04:50 -0400, Gor Gyolchanyan <
> gor.f.gyolchanyan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Steven Schveighoffer
>> <schveiguy at yahoo.com>wrote:
>>

>>> I don't see a "problem" anywhere.  The current system is perfect for what
>>> it needs to do.
>>>

>> Aside from the string problem the very existence of this debate exposes a
>> fundamental flaw in the entire software engineering industry: heavy usage
>> of ancient crap.
>> If some library is so damned hard to refresh, then something's terribly
>> wrong with it. It's about damned time ancient libraries are thrown away.
>>

> It's quite difficult to "throw out" OS libraries that you need ;)  printf
> is hardly the only C interface that requires null-terminated strings.
>
> D is a pragmatic language, not an ideological one.
>
> -Steve

Dear Steven and Alex. By no means, I say, that every ancient technology is
to be thrown out at once. That's a technological suicide. What I mean, that
knowing, that the technology is ancient, we should at least put some effort
to gradually move away from it. If it needs to be done - it needs to be
done. If it happens to be expensive to do - oh, well. I understand, that
the human resources are limited, but hanging on ancient technology for
_too_ long is a death wish for any new technology.

--
Bye,
Gor Gyolchanyan.