deprecating std.stream, std.cstream, std.socketstream

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 13:58:26 PDT 2012

On Wed, 16 May 2012 16:38:54 -0400, Artur Skawina <art.08.09 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 05/16/12 22:15, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> I still don't get the need to "add" this to ranges.  The streaming API
>> works fine on its own.
>
> This is not an argument against a streaming API (at least not for me),
> but
> for efficient ranges. With the API above I can shift tens of gigabytes of
> data per second between threads. And still use the 'std' range API and
> everything that works with it...

But you never would want to.  Don't get me wrong, the primitives here
could work for a streaming API (I haven't implemented it that way, but it
could be made to work).  But the idea that it must *also* be a std.range
input range makes zero sense.

To me, this is as obvious as not supporting linklist[index];  Sure, it can
be done, but who would ever use it?

-Steve