Is dsource .org completely deserted?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed May 16 16:45:59 PDT 2012

"Joseph Rushton Wakeling" <joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net> wrote in message
news:mailman.840.1337179907.24740.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On 15/05/12 04:16, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> I firmly believe that GitHub/BitBucket/etc-style features need to be
>> standard *protocols*, not features bundled inseparably to project
>> hosting.
>> What the hell is this, 1980 all over again where data is routinely tied
>> inseparably to the software it originated from?
>
> Whatever your opinion of GitHub etc. (and I agree that it makes sense for
> there to be a well-defined set of interaction protocols), the key point is
> surely that dedicated code-hosting and collaboration platforms can provide
> a much better service than individual projects' self-hosted repositories.

My main point is that those features (fork/pull request/issue tracking, etc)
should be decoupled from hosting so that, for example, self-hosted repos
would *not* provide inferior service, in fact they woudn't have to provide
some stupid bundled interface at all: As a *user* (NOT as a project
maintainer), you would just use *your own* choice of github, bitbucket,
Tortoise*, or whatever the fuck YOU wanted to use, to access whatever the
fuck repo you wanted to access, wherever the hell said repo happens to live.
The whole point is that interface and hosting have no business being coupled
as they are now. Tying repo and interface together makes absolutely no sense
whatsoever.

What we have now is *no* different from those god-awful, absolutely
rediculous, image sharing "tools" like Kodak Photo Viewer or Adobe
Lightroom's Flash exporter. (I *hate* when people try to send me pictures
with those reprehensible things.) Or Flash-based videos: Why the hell is it
so incredibly unacceptable for people to use THEIR OWN fucking choice of
video player? In any case, github/bitbucket/etc are exactly the same thing,
just with code instead of picutres or videos (and made by and for people who
are smart enough that they *should* know better).

> As it stands it makes D look quite dead and derelict, when that's not the
> case at all.

Agreed. DSource could use some improvements WRT finding active/inactive
projects.