Can't run 'masm386'

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed May 16 21:35:48 PDT 2012

"Andre Tampubolon" <andre at lc.vlsm.org> wrote in message
news:jp1kld$15mj$1 at digitalmars.com...
>I was trying to build druntime. I got this error:
> dmd -c -d -o- -Isrc -Iimport -Hfimport\core\sys\windows\windows.di
> src\core\sys\windows\windows.d
>
> dmc -c  src\core\stdc\errno.c -oerrno_c.obj
>
> dmc -c  src\rt\complex.c
>
> dmc -c  src\rt\minit.asm
> masm386 -DM_I386=1 -D_WIN32 -Mx src\rt\minit.asm;
>
> Can't run 'masm386', check PATH
> masm386 -DM_I386=1 -D_WIN32 -Mx src\rt\minit.asm;
>
> Can't run 'masm386', check PATH
> Error: 'dmc' not found
>
> Strange. This thing never happened before.

I've hit that before. Druntime comes with minit.obj already compiled.
Apperently, minit.asm isn't expected to change, so it's not expected that
minit.obj will need to be rebuilt. At least that's what I was told.

So what must have happened is the same as what happened to me: The timestamp
on minit.asm was updated (or the file was inadvertantly changed). Or maybe
minit.obj accidentally got deleted. Either way, make thinks minit needs to
be rebuilt (which is not normally expected of minit), so it tries to, and it
can't find masm386 (which doesn't come with DMD or DMC), so the error.

So just:

1. Check that minit.obj still exists, and if not, grab it again.

2. Make sure the timestamp on minit.asm isn't newer than minit.obj

3. Make sure minit.asm didn't get changed.