D dropped in favour of C# for PSP emulator

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu May 17 09:00:40 PDT 2012

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> I agree binarySearch is more precise, but I also think it's a
> minor issue not worth the cost of changing at this point.
> Improving names of things in the standard library is a quest
> that could go forever, make everybody happy we're making
> progress, and achieve no substantial gain.

Names are very important, they are the fist and most important
part of an API, they are the first handle for human programmers
and their minds. The amount of care Python development group
gives to the choice of names is visible and it makes a difference
in Python usability.
Important names can't be chosen by a single person, because
single persons have quirks (they overstate how much common a word
or concept is, etc etc). So important names are better chosen by
groups, that allow to average out those quirks.
I suggest to stick somewhere inside Phobos a name like
"binarySearch".

Bye,
bearophile