Posix vs. Windows

Mehrdad wfunction at hotmail.com
Thu May 17 13:01:11 PDT 2012

 From looking at Phobos, I'm understanding that the main
difference between the implementation of various features for
Posix systems as compared to Windows systems (aside from the API,
etc.) is that Windows tends to do a lot of stuff *before* the
program is loaded (and hence requires special cases in a lot of
places), whereas Posix systems tend to require you to call
initializers manually (and hence they're called just like any
other function).

Just wanted to check, is this understanding correct?

(The reasoning being, if I'm writing my own little kernel, I want
to figure out whether I should be compiling Phobos with Posix or
with Windows, to minimize my headaches... although I should
mention that, either way, I'm going to be developing on Windows,
in PE format.)