[OT] Windows users: Are you happy with git?

Alex Rønne Petersen alex at lycus.org
Fri May 18 05:46:02 PDT 2012

On 18-05-2012 10:58, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 18/05/12 09:58, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
>> Still, we made the switch, and I haven't really registered that many
>> complaints
>> since. So now I'm curious: Windows users, have you just resigned, or
>> did Git
>> actually turn out to work well on Windows?
>
> I'm mostly a Linux-user, but I have played with Git on Windows and don't
> recall it being particularly different from the Linux experience. I'd
> have thought the main issue would be that Windows-oriented people aren't
> used to using command-line stuff (in my experience this can extend to
> devs as well as regular users).

I think that's the primary issue - Windows devs expect a full-blown,
well-developed, and concise GUI. Git, frankly, doesn't have one. And I
think that using a GUI for Git doesn't make an awful lot of sense;
controlling the branching model, submodules, remotes, the stash,
rebasing, etc is pretty hard from a GUI compared to the CLI (in my own
not so humble opinion).

I like to think that GUIs and CLIs both have their uses. I use the CLI
to do most Git work, but *strongly* prefer `git gui` to do pre-commit
review, staging, reverting, etc.

--
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex at lycus.org