[OT] Windows users: Are you happy with git?

Aleksandar Ružičić" <aleksandar at ruzicic.info> Aleksandar Ružičić" <aleksandar at ruzicic.info>
Fri May 18 05:49:14 PDT 2012

On Friday, 18 May 2012 at 07:58:26 UTC, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
> I remember back when we were considering whether to move DMD,
> Phobos and druntime from SVN on DSource to Git on GitHub, there
> were some concerns about using Git on Windows.  People claimed
> that Git was a very Linux-centric tool, and that Windows
> support was buggy at best.
>
> Still, we made the switch, and I haven't really registered that
> many complaints since.  So now I'm curious:  Windows users,
> have you just resigned, or did Git actually turn out to work
> well on Windows?  Specifically, is it usable from the CMD
> command line, and are graphical front-ends such as TortoiseGit
> any good?  (I know running it through Cygwin works well, but
> that doesn't count.)
>
> -Lars

I'm using both, Linux and Windows, but I prefer working on
Windows (I don't have X on my Linux installation, and it's not
very cozy to spend all day in console). On Windows I have MSYS +
Console2 setup, so I basically have nice looking (and more
importantly functional) Linux console on my Windows.

Oh, and yes, git (msysgit actually) is working great on Windows
(just a bit slower than Linux version, but still faster than svn).