Posix vs. Windows

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri May 18 12:38:01 PDT 2012

Am 18.05.2012 20:59, schrieb Alex Rønne Petersen:
> On 18-05-2012 20:53, Paulo Pinto wrote:

>>> Try doing fork() on Windows. ;)
>>>

>> Easy,
>>
>> Initially Windows NT family only supported POSIX.1, due to US federal
>> requirements, later on it was improved by Interix und SUA
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_POSIX_subsystem
>>
>> More information here,
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772343
>> fork() ==> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754234
>>

>> --
>> Paulo
>
> Right, but that's not really Win32 out of the box. Cygwin implemented it
> too, in user land.

Of course it is not Win32. Windows has the capability of multiple
subsystems.

By default 3 were offered in the beginnig: Win32, OS/2, Posix.

OS/2 is no longer available for obvious reasons.

The Posix is only one tick box away to install in any enterprise
version, or via SUA to the home versions.

Some of the APIs are implemented at kernel level, page 53,
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963901.aspx

--
Paulo