Posix vs. Windows

Mehrdad wfunction at hotmail.com
Fri May 18 14:08:26 PDT 2012

On Friday, 18 May 2012 at 19:40:35 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> This is one of those things that makes Windows (l)users wonder
> how we Unix people can stand using the shell all day -- their
> idea of shell is the DOS prompt (a veritable train wreck of
> train wrecks). If only they knew what a *real* shell can do. ;-)

Don't generalize. :P

I'm a Windows user, but yes, I've used Linux.... and yes, the
command prompt is indeed a train wreck. Bash is indeed a lot
better.

And no, I haven't used PowerShell; I hate programs that take too
long to start up.

I definitely know what a *real* shell can do, but I also know
that it's *pretty damn hard* to write foolproof code in Bash.
Just look at: http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashPitfalls

It's just that in Bash scripts, it's easier to get to 99%
correctness than it is with batch files. But getting to 100% is a
pain in *BOTH* (indeed, I still have no idea how to do it).

On the other hand, I *do* wonder how CLI users get any work done
without the ability to do GUI-related tasks (e.g. refactoring in
Visual Studio/Eclipse/whatever?). :P