Posix vs. Windows

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri May 18 23:58:10 PDT 2012

Am 19.05.2012 04:15, schrieb Mehrdad:
> On Saturday, 19 May 2012 at 02:10:31 UTC, Mehrdad wrote:
>> Worse yet, no way in hell that a command-line tool would tell you your
>> documentation is messed up. :P
>

> I should submit a correction:
>
> Nothing wrong with the command-line-ness per se -- it's just that
> command-line tools happen to be text-based, so when they just work with
> text, they miss the fact that it's documentation and not code. It's just
> that I haven't seen a command-line tool do refactoring like that.
>
> An IDE would obviously make the same mistake, if you used Search/Replace
> instead of actually doing refactoring.

I used to be an Emacs fan, but the no Emacs plugins are able to deliver
the set of tools any IDE offers.

- visual code navigation, away better than cscope/ctags are able to offer
- dependency analysis tools between modules
- code refactoring
- compile as you write
- code completion with direct code documentation popups
- method/classes information as popup
- RAD tools for UI generation
- Locate all usages of a given symbol, even across compiled modules
- Show call sequences for a given method/function
- Find using semantic information
- Plugins repositories
- Debugger integration, with possible edit and continue

All of the above feature made me a fan of IDEs, since the MS-DOS days.

You can do a lot of those features in Emacs or VIM, but they are all
text based, and always feel like a poor man's solution, when you already
experienced the IDE ones.

--
Paulo