Posix vs. Windows

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Sat May 19 04:36:24 PDT 2012

On 19/05/2012 00:51, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 01:21:56AM +0200, Mehrdad wrote:
>> On Friday, 18 May 2012 at 23:02:18 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>>
>>> I find IDEs more painful to use than scratching your nails on a
>>> chalkboard. The inability of running an IDE over a remote SSH
>>> session without everything slowing down to a snail crawl makes it
>>> completely unusable for me.
>>
>> Have you tried running Eclipse/Visual Studio over Remote Desktop on
>> Windows?
>
> I don't use Windows except when I have to fix my wife's windows laptop.
> :-P
>

>> Was it actually that slow?
>
> Anything that has a GUI is unacceptably slow over a remote connection,
> last time I checked. I'm not talking about connecting over a local
> network, which doesn't really count, but a connection over the internet.

If you want to see _real_ slowness, try opening in MS Access (running locally) a .mdb that
is on a fileserver accessed via a VPN connection.  That's what they briefly made me do in
one of my recent jobs.

<snip>
>> It works on Linux as well, and it's amazing. (Not quite as powerful
>> as Emacs/Vim, but it's hella more intuitive/easier to use, so worth
>> it IMO.)
>
> "Intuitive" text editors are ultimately also limited by their
> intuitiveness, because what most people think of as "intuitive" is "what
> I type appears on the screen" and "I don't have to memorize obscure key
> sequences to get stuff done".
<snip>

No, because such an editor could still provide obscure key sequences for those advanced
features that are beyond what can reasonably be done with an intuitive GUI.  Whatever
those advanced features are.

Stewart.