Posix vs. Windows

Mehrdad wfunction at hotmail.com
Sat May 19 13:35:11 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 19 May 2012 at 20:00:03 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Now that _is_ pretty cool.

:D yes!

> See, the thing is, one of the reasons I like vim in spite of
> its warts (yes it has warts, including what we're discussing
> here about syntax trees transformations) is that it gives me a
> _unified_ environment for working with all kinds of files

Indeed, that's one of the major reasons people use text editors
over IDEs for a lot of tasks.

> Don't be shocked if you find a vim plugin that does just that.
> ;-)

I dunno, I might be xD

> It would be really cool if there were syntax tree manipulators

Omg yeah. And I think D is probably the closest to getting
something like that.

I remember asking about whether something like this this in
StackOverflow, but (perhaps because I didn't phrase myself
properly) people didn't really understand what I was saying and I
kinda got blank responses lol.

> Ah, but isn't that what we programmers specialize in? Turning
> theory into reality. ;-)

Touche

> Actually, vim does have some rudimentary support for moving
> across scopes. I don't know about statements, though.

Yeah, editors often have brace-matching and stuff ("go to
matching/enclosing brace") but yeah, not statements.

> Honestly, I like the layout better (the standard PC keyboard is
> way too wide). However, the _size_ of a laptop keyboard is just
> too uncomfortable for me

Yup, I've been debating if I want a real-sized keyboard or not...
might order one these days. :)

> OK I admit I was being unfair. See, my problem is, the second I
> have to deal with rodent navigation and clicking through menus,
> I just get really really frustrated that I can't just tell the
> stupid machine to do what I already know I want to do.

Totally understand what you mean -- I could say the same thing
for *nix tools, just the other way around. (Why can't I *browse*
my choices? why do I have to look at /documentation/, for God's
sake, to figure out how to just locate a file on my computer?
etc.)

> Yikes!!

Indeed, that says it all. xD

> You do realize that building GCC involves two stages, right?

Someone told me like a year later. XD

> 	http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=301
> Ah, the wonders of opensource. :-)

:) I have a love-hate relationship with OS. It's among the
greatest things in CS but it also has its own problems. I was
going to post a link to a blog post I read about it, but while I
agree with it, it's a little harsher than my view, so maybe not.
xD

> Yikes! I highly recommend using plain vanilla vim, no GUI

Oh geez, that'll take a while lol. At least with GVim, I can
discover the command names through the menus haha.