Posix vs. Windows

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat May 19 22:43:43 PDT 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 04:53:32PM -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
> On May 19, 2012, at 1:35 PM, "Mehrdad" <wfunction at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, 19 May 2012 at 20:00:03 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >
> >> Yikes! I highly recommend using plain vanilla vim, no GUI
> >
> > Oh geez, that'll take a while lol. At least with GVim, I can
> > discover the command names through the menus haha.
>
> The only way to really learn vim is to suffer through it until it
> clicks. The experience is so fundamentally different than other
> editors, that menus would just prevent that from happening.

Exactly. Until you've grappled with GUI-less vim, you haven't _really_
used vim. I did say that it was a very frustrating experience for me.
But when it clicked, it _really_ clicked. Now I couldn't bear to use
pico or joe or any of that stuff. They've become so foreign to me.

It's one of those things that have a totally steep learning curve, but
totally worth it once you get it. Just like console Linux/bash. (Even I
myself find it hard to believe, but there was a time when I used to
_hate_ Linux.  Yeah.) Or ratpoison (aka how to use a GUI without a
mouse). :-P

> That said, some editors, like Sublime Text 2 (my current favorite)
> have a vi mode that functions pretty closely to how vi does. It's
> another way to ease your way into the vi mindset, as it were.
> Personally, I know enough vi to get around but not enough to prefer
> it. It's simy a matter of necessity though, as vi is the only editor
> I've found installed on every system I need to edit on. Too bad it
> couldn't at least be vim though.

Ugh. Plain vi (non-vim) is a bear to use. Many non-vim vi's have an undo
buffer with a depth of 1. And it just goes downhill from there. :-P

But at least, once you've eased into the vim mindset, you can navigate
around inferior vi's without stumbling into electric fences and stubbing
your toes.

You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely. -- azephrahel