Posix vs. Windows

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat May 19 22:59:49 PDT 2012

Am 20.05.2012 07:43, schrieb H. S. Teoh:
> [...]
>> That said, some editors, like Sublime Text 2 (my current favorite)
>> have a vi mode that functions pretty closely to how vi does. It's
>> another way to ease your way into the vi mindset, as it were.
>> Personally, I know enough vi to get around but not enough to prefer
>> it. It's simy a matter of necessity though, as vi is the only editor
>> I've found installed on every system I need to edit on. Too bad it
>> couldn't at least be vim though.
>
> Ugh. Plain vi (non-vim) is a bear to use. Many non-vim vi's have an undo
> buffer with a depth of 1. And it just goes downhill from there. :-P
>
> But at least, once you've eased into the vim mindset, you can navigate
> around inferior vi's without stumbling into electric fences and stubbing
> your toes.

One thing I hate is visiting customers which have UNIX installations
configured with their default installs.

Depending on the operating system version, sometimes I feel like I am
back in 197x, with the original versions of vi, sh, sed, and so on.

The people that only have GNU/Linux or BSD experience, don't have any
idea how spoiled they are when compared with the commercial UNIX vendors
offerings.

--
Paulo