[OT] Windows users: Are you happy with git?

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Mon May 21 06:00:02 PDT 2012

On Fri, 18 May 2012 08:58:23 +0100, Lars T. Kyllingstad
<public at kyllingen.net> wrote:

> I remember back when we were considering whether to move DMD, Phobos and
> druntime from SVN on DSource to Git on GitHub, there were some concerns
> about using Git on Windows.  People claimed that Git was a very
> Linux-centric tool, and that Windows support was buggy at best.
>
> Still, we made the switch, and I haven't really registered that many
> complaints since.  So now I'm curious:  Windows users, have you just
> resigned, or did Git actually turn out to work well on Windows?
> Specifically, is it usable from the CMD command line, and are graphical
> front-ends such as TortoiseGit any good?  (I know running it through
> Cygwin works well, but that doesn't count.)

I haven't yet tried to use GIT, but I'm a windows developer so I thought
I'd share :p

I have done a fair amount of cross-platform work, but all the development
itself occurred on a windows desktop using M$ developer studio, which is
my IDE of choice.

I have worked with guys who decided they would be more comfortable, or
productive on linux/freebsd/etc and so spent the time/effort to switch
their development environment over.  What is certain, is that these guys
were less productive initially as they got up to speed (learning a new
IDE/editor/tool-chain etc) but once past it was less certain whether they
were more, or less productive.  They were certainly happier, so I guess
that as/is something.  I've always been happy on Windows, and while
cmd.exe and scripting on windows is pretty rubbish it does what I need it
to do, and if not I write a tool in C/C++/D to solve the lack.  I still
haven't bothered to learn much/if any powershell, which looks like it
would solve most of those issues - as it's basically C# in a shell.

I have dabbled with Cygwin and similar tools, but as I don't want to
change my mindset to a linux/freebsd one they always annoy me.  I don't
want/need to learn all that accompanies such tools/environments, I just
want to solve the actual issue i.e. obtain source from GIT in this case.
So, if I were to give GIT a go I would be looking for a nice integrated
(into windows explorer) GIT GUI tool (some mentioned in this thread which
I'll give a go), plus a command line tool as well for those times when I
want to script certain operations.  Looking at some of the example GIT
command line samples, it seems I would be scripting away as many details
as I could - which is basically what a good GUI does for you, but in
another way.

That's my 2(p|c) :)