GitHub for Windows

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon May 21 13:09:41 PDT 2012

"Nick Sabalausky" <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote in message
news:jpe6kk$235b$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "Nick Sabalausky" <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote in message
> news:jpe4ru$13e8$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> "David Nadlinger" <see at klickverbot.at> wrote in message
>> news:lvpmnrfdyinxvkzuswlb at forum.dlang.org...
>>> GitHub have just released their Windows GUI for Git/GitHub:
>>>
>>> http://windows.github.com/
>>>
>>> Although I'm not sure if it really stands up to the promise of
>>> being »the easiest way to use Git on Windows«, it might be interesting
>>> to some of you who prefer to rather not be bothered with the inner
>>> workings of Git.
>>>
>>> The release announcement is at:
>>> https://github.com/blog/1127-github-for-windows.
>>>

>> Finally!
>>
>> I still don't understand what posessd them to do a Mac version first.
>> Nobody uses Mac.
>>

> Jesus, it's almost as bad as their web interface. I don't know how the
> hell they managed that, I'd think you have to *try* to make a desktop app
> that bad.
>
> Upon initial startup: "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in
> GitHub.exe". Great.
>
> Then it runs anyway? But there's *no* titlebar whatsoever. And everything
> else about it is the most poorly-implemented custom-UI I've ever come
> across. Gratuitus amounts of wasted space. Controls that behave...wrong
> and don't even look *at all* like what they're supposed to be (*that* is
> supposed to be a scroll-bar?). Constant...shit...popping up every time you
> touch the mouse. And as far as looks, I'd say it's the ugliest program
> I've used since Chrome, but honesty - it's really is uglier than even
> that. They actually managed to make things like Steam and modern *Adobe*
> UIs seem decent! I didn't think that was even *possible* without VB3.
>
> And on top of that, it's *still* bloatware-city.
>
> Seriously, I could *swear* they made this stupid thing in flash. That
> actually wouldn't surprise me at all.
>
> OTOH, I completely understand now why it started out on Mac. No doubt it
> would fit right in there.
>
> Oh, and the final nail in the coffin, big enough to make everything else
> completely irrelevent? You can't even use it to do *anything* with
> GitHub-hosted repos other than list *your* repos, view the readme, and
> make a local clone. And you can't even choose *where* to put the local
> clone! Seriously? What a completely useless turd of a *cough*"program".
>
> Bah. Fuck GitHub. Head up their asses just as far as Google.

Hah, and as if all that wan't bad enough, I just noticed on the announcement
page that it *cough*"features" "silent, automated updates". I get the
impression this is the sort of program where updates would likely just make
things worse.

Oh and also on the announcement page: "No-options installation!", like
*programmers* are expected to be too stupid to hande standard installation
options? Jeez, "know your audience", people.

At least it uninstalled easily enough.