GitHub for Windows

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon May 21 13:28:16 PDT 2012

On Mon, 21 May 2012 13:09:41 -0700, Nick Sabalausky
<SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> "Nick Sabalausky" <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote in message
> news:jpe6kk$235b$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> "Nick Sabalausky" <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote in message
>> news:jpe4ru$13e8$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> "David Nadlinger" <see at klickverbot.at> wrote in message
>>> news:lvpmnrfdyinxvkzuswlb at forum.dlang.org...

>>> Finally!
>>>
>>> I still don't understand what posessd them to do a Mac version first.
>>> Nobody uses Mac.
>>>

>> Jesus, it's almost as bad as their web interface. I don't know how the
>> hell they managed that, I'd think you have to *try* to make a desktop
>> app
>> that bad.
>>
>> Upon initial startup: "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in
>> GitHub.exe". Great.
>>
>> Then it runs anyway? But there's *no* titlebar whatsoever. And
>> everything
>> else about it is the most poorly-implemented custom-UI I've ever come
>> across. Gratuitus amounts of wasted space. Controls that behave...wrong
>> and don't even look *at all* like what they're supposed to be (*that* is
>> supposed to be a scroll-bar?). Constant...shit...popping up every time
>> you
>> touch the mouse. And as far as looks, I'd say it's the ugliest program
>> I've used since Chrome, but honesty - it's really is uglier than even
>> that. They actually managed to make things like Steam and modern *Adobe*
>> UIs seem decent! I didn't think that was even *possible* without VB3.
>>
>> And on top of that, it's *still* bloatware-city.
>>
>> Seriously, I could *swear* they made this stupid thing in flash. That
>> actually wouldn't surprise me at all.
>>
>> OTOH, I completely understand now why it started out on Mac. No doubt it
>> would fit right in there.
>>
>> Oh, and the final nail in the coffin, big enough to make everything else
>> completely irrelevent? You can't even use it to do *anything* with
>> GitHub-hosted repos other than list *your* repos, view the readme, and
>> make a local clone. And you can't even choose *where* to put the local
>> clone! Seriously? What a completely useless turd of a *cough*"program".
>>
>> Bah. Fuck GitHub. Head up their asses just as far as Google.
>>

> Hah, and as if all that wan't bad enough, I just noticed on the
> announcement
> page that it *cough*"features" "silent, automated updates". I get the
> impression this is the sort of program where updates would likely just
> make
> things worse.
>
> Oh and also on the announcement page: "No-options installation!", like
> *programmers* are expected to be too stupid to hande standard
> installation
> options? Jeez, "know your audience", people.
>
> At least it uninstalled easily enough.

Having been the MS Build conference it is pretty obvious to me that they
are trying to build a 'Metro' or WinRT compatible UI. Given their love of
all things Apple, this would make sense as WinRT is MS's response to iOS.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender