GitHub for Windows

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue May 22 04:56:35 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 22 May 2012 at 10:54:22 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Jacob Carlborg" <doob at me.com> wrote in message
> news:jpfiha$53t$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> On 2012-05-21 21:56, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> "Nick Sabalausky"<SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com>  wrote
>>> in message
>>> news:jpe4ru$13e8$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> Jesus, it's almost as bad as their web interface. I don't
>>> know how the hell
>>> they managed that, I'd think you have to *try* to make a
>>> desktop app that
>>> bad.
>>>
>>> Upon initial startup: "An unhandled win32 exception occurred
>>> in GitHub.exe".
>>> Great.
>>>
>>> Then it runs anyway? But there's *no* titlebar whatsoever.
>>> And everything
>>> else about it is the most poorly-implemented custom-UI I've
>>> ever come
>>> across. Gratuitus amounts of wasted space. Controls that
>>> behave...wrong and
>>> don't even look *at all* like what they're supposed to be
>>> (*that* is
>>> supposed to be a scroll-bar?). Constant...shit...popping up
>>> every time you
>>> touch the mouse. And as far as looks, I'd say it's the
>>> ugliest program I've
>>> used since Chrome, but honesty - it's really is uglier than
>>> even that. They
>>> actually managed to make things like Steam and modern *Adobe*
>>> UIs seem
>>> decent! I didn't think that was even *possible* without VB3.
>>
>> Isn't that the new GUI for Windows 8 :
>>

> I wasn't running it on Win8. It was on XP.
>
> I guess it's kinda like Chrome: Hey Google, imitate the native
> UI all you
> want, but the fakeness is pretty damn obvious when Aero
> suddenly shows up on
> an XP machine.
>
>> http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-release-preview-rip-aero-20032012-143133
>>

> Oh, so it's that time of the week again already? Time for MS to
> change their
> minds once again on which is cool and uncool: straight vs
> curved?
>
> Egads, it's like they're spinning their wheels just for the
> sake of spinning
> them. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The computer
> industry has
> become the goddamn fasion industry.
>
> Win3: Rounded edges! Couldn't have those before!
>
> 95: Rounded is so old. Stright-edged (*cough* like Win1&2
> *cough*) is
> classy!
>
> XP: Straight edges and flat colors are sooo old-fasioned!
> Roundess, curves
> and gradients are in! ("Yea, whatever...Luna: Off, Classic: On")
>
> Vista: Transperency is hip and modern! More curves! More
> shading!
>
> Win8: Transparency, curves, gradients and shading are sooo
> old-fasioned!
> Stright edges and flat colors are in!
>
> FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!

> [...]

It's called Marketing and Sales department.

Every company that sells commercial products needs to keep adding
the "next big thing" to their product as a means to sell the
product to existing users.

Let's take Office as an example, for my usual tasks, I could
happily still use Word 6 from the Windows 3.11 days.

--
Paulo