GitHub for Windows

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue May 22 05:00:18 PDT 2012

"Ary Manzana" <ary at esperanto.org.ar> wrote in message
news:jpfll9$a1h$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 5/22/12 3:41 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2012-05-22 09:50, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>
>>> See, that must be the problem, I only like crazy insane stuff ;)
>>>
>>> I actually did spend about a year using an OSX machine as my primary
>>> system,
>>> and was even impressed *at first*. Then I grew to hate it (It's now
>>> sitting,
>>> totally dead, six feet behind me).
>>
>> When was that, around which version of Mac OS X?

Mostly 10.2. And then people told me "You have to upgrade to 10.3! It's sooo
much better!" Me: "Yea, you said the same about 10.2, asshole. When I made
the mistake of believing you that time, I blew $100 just to add (remove?)
stripes from the dock's background and make the kernel panics prettier. Oh,
yea, and make SMB slightly less broken - that was the killer feature."
Hundred dollars for a damn point release. Bah. MS would have called it a
service pack and given it away.

By the time 10.4 rolled around, the stupid machine had already died anyway.

> I feel like OSX (and Mac's hardware) got almost everything right. It makes
> you more productive, even if you are a developer.

Every single thing about it either got in my way or slowed me down (And
that's when it was actually working right.) The mouse (every single one
Apple's ever made - I quickly replaced the nearly-useless Apple mouse with a
Microsoft one), the sluggish mouse acceleration no matter how you tweaked it
(need a mousepad the size of Rhode Island), windows that can't figure out
where the dock is and decide to partially hide behind it, the dock which
conflates running apps with non-running ones (opps, that's right: there's a
*teeny* *tiny* little...uhh...triangle to show you the difference), every
view offered in finder (they were all awful and barely-usable, even the one
I was initally very excited about), the being a barely-upgradable *desktop*
machine, the IDE controller that died and took the HDD with it (before the
machine finally keeled over *completely*), the almost total lack of
configurability on pretty much anything, the animations that do nothing but
make you wait (at least *those* you could turn off, along with the dock
icons that dodge the mouse whenever you try to point at them), the ultra
window-mania for *individual* apps (ex: photoshop on mac actually behaved
like GIMP - yea, there's an app known for having a good UI...), the
compeltely modal menu bar that's not even connected to its own app (yea, I
know it's signature "Mac", but it's still a bad design that only made sence
on 13" screens with giant pixels), "error -274296" (yea, real helpful,
jackass!), the web browser with ultra-blurry text ("It's to make it better
match what the printer spits out!!" Really? Who the fuck does more
web-browsing on hard-copy than on screen?). Ie, *Everything* about it.
Idiotically-designed. Horrible, wretched little machine.

My uncle loves the stupid things (since the monochrome days) and he's
*constantly* wrestling with Apple over major hardware problems that they
never seem to be able to resolve.