Is the D community lacking development tools?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue May 22 10:05:24 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 09:55:14AM -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
> On May 22, 2012, at 7:43 AM, "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> >> My opinion - no.
> > [...]
> >
> > +1. For me, vim + dmd/gdc is Good Enough(tm). Other tools are nice
> > to have, but not a must.
>
> It depends on the platform. GDB works fine on Linux, but is pretty
> much broken on OSX. Does Visual Studio work on Windows? Because that
> standalone debugger bundled with DMD is garbage.

People will probably laugh at me, but over the years, I've found that
well-placed printfs/writelns are much more effective in locating bugs
than stepping through code with a debugger. Or inserting deliberate
infinite loops at suspected problem spots and then using kill -11 to get
a stacktrace.

Or, since I started using D, using thorough unittests and asserts.

The only really useful feature of debuggers is in getting stacktraces
from a crash when the usual OS mechanisms (coredumps, etc.) don't yield
useful info. Only rarely do I actually step through code with a
debugger.

But YMMV.

First Rule of History: History doesn't repeat itself -- historians merely repeat each other.