GitHub for Windows

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue May 22 15:12:23 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 05:55:45PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
[...]
> > Well I guess there's such a thing as different strokes for different
> > folks, de gustibus non disputandum, etc. etc.
> >

> No kidding! I was reading through that interview you linked to about
> your setup, and I was thinking "How does he get anything done?" ;)
> (But I might give GNU screen and zsh a try sometime, though.)

I use GNU screen regularly. It's pretty awesome for what it does, though
it does come with its own warts (like broken terminal type translation
for certain terminal types, causing mostly-working but sometimes broken
terminals). It's pretty cool to be able to just disconnect a screen in
the middle of, say, writing some cool D code, then log on again later
from a different location, fire up screen, and just continue typing
where you left off without a flinch.

[...]
> I'm sure Google Docs is fast(-ish) on that 64-bit multi-core 8GB RAM,
> SSD storage machine, but when it takes that kind of hardware just to
> run a what's really just a basic word processor, you know something
> has gone horribly, horibly wrong.
[...]

One word: MS Word.

For me, vim over a text-only ssh terminal beats _any_ kind of GUI word
processor, any day. What's that you say? No formatting? Pfeh... 90% of
text documents do not _need_ formatting. Wasting time with fonts,
colors, etc., only detract from the actual content of the document.
(Unless you're a marketroid whose content _is_ just the formatting.) And
when formatting _is_ necessary, LaTeX rulez them all anyway, and I can
do LaTeX with a pure, unadulterated plain-text editor.  Over a 2400 baud
modem link without a flinch. :-P

One Word to write them all, One Access to find them, One Excel to count
them all, And thus to Windows bind them. -- Mike Champion