Purity of some GC functions

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue May 22 19:33:49 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 03:27:56AM +0200, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pull/198
>
> Can anyone weigh in on this? I really need to know whether I'm
> talking nonsense here, or if this is the way forward.
[...]

Thank you SO much for doing this. It has always irked me that doing
something like marking a block NO_SCAN has the cascading effect of
making all callers impure, which is stupid because using, e.g., built-in
arrays by definition interacts with the GC, so why the hangup about
explicit interaction with the GC?

I say this is definitely the right way to go.

"Outlook not so good." That magic 8-ball knows everything! I'll ask about Exchange Server next. -- (Stolen from the net)