Let's schedule WinAPI ASCII functions for deprecation!

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 11:41:36 PDT 2012

On 22/05/2012 19:24, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
<snip>
>> * in D it's too easy to make a mistake by passing UTF-8 string pointer
>> to such function

That's just as easy in almost any language.  It's part of why so many websites have
character encoding bugs.

<snip>
> And last but not least:
> - *W were supported on Win98+ Second Edition with official addon - Unicode Layer for
> Windows ;)
<snip>

I've heard of MS Layer for Unicode - don't know if that's what you meant or you're talking
about something else.  From what I recall reading, MSLU had the problem that EXEs have to
be explicitly built to depend on it.  So a typical app targeted at Win2000 and above
wouldn't work with it, and you can't (at least easily) make an app detect whether Unicode
is available and use it if it's there.

Stewart.