Sparse matrix solver libraries

Vic Kelson vic.kelson at gmail.com
Wed May 23 11:51:39 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 23 May 2012 at 16:12:40 UTC, Justin Whear wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2012 16:16:19 +0200, Vic Kelson wrote:
>
>> Hi All.
>>
>> OK. I'm sold on using D to develop an experimental hydrologic
>> modeling
>> code, but I need a sparse linear algebra package. Has anyone
>> either
>> developed such a package in D or linked to an existing C or
>> C++ library?
>> There are a number of existing free libraries out there, and I
>> hate to
>> reinvent the wheel. If no such D library interface exists, I'm
>> happy to
>> work on one as a community project, but I suspect I'll need
>> quite a bit
>> of help. Is anybody game for such a project?
>>
>> THANKS!
>> --vic
>
> I work for an economic modeling firm and we use a lot of D. We
> generally
> just link against BLASPack or Intel MKL for our linear algebra
> needs
> (linking C libs in D is really easy).
>
> D's compile-time code generation abilities make the thought of
> a native D
> solution rather interesting, but it would probably take years
> for such a
> project to reach the maturity level of existing libraries.
>
> Justin

Alas, I'm working on an experimental code, and if it's a success,
I'll give it away. I can't afford Intel MKL for a free project.

I agree that a D implementation would be cool, but perhaps I'll
just bite the bullet and try to convert headers for an existing
library. Never done that before...

Thanks!