GitHub for Windows

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed May 23 23:48:05 PDT 2012

"Sean Kelly" <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote in message
news:mailman.1031.1337823511.24740.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>On May 23, 2012, at 3:06 PM, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>
>wrote:
>> On 5/22/2012 2:55 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> I'm sure Google Docs is fast(-ish) on that 64-bit multi-core 8GB RAM,
>>> SSD
>>> storage machine, but when it takes that kind of hardware just to run a
>>> what's really just a basic word processor, you know something has gone
>>> horribly, horibly wrong.
>>
>> Heh, no way I'd use a laggy text editor.
>>
>> Also, given the sporadic arbitrary random delays in my internet
>> connection,
>>there's no way I'd buy into heavily using an interactive app that relies
>>on a
>>100% connection.
>
>You shouldn't need a 100% connection if the app is designed correctly.
>Modern browsers have some kind of persistent storage solution for
>web apps.=

If the app is designed correctly, it won't involve a browser in the first
place.

A bit old, but still very good:

http://teddziuba.com/2008/09/a-web-os-are-you-dense.html

A gem excerpt:
Making It Easier On Idiots:
After a while, everybody wanted to be a programmer.  Since programming is
actually kind of hard, many of these folk landed in PHP and HTML, hence the
explosion of webapps.  As such, the browser became a feeble example of a
"runtime".