Is the D community lacking development tools?

Mikael Lindsten mikael at lindsten.net
Thu May 24 00:55:27 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 22 May 2012 at 11:21:14 UTC, Roman D. Boiko wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 May 2012 at 10:59:04 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2012-05-22 12:03, Roman D. Boiko wrote:
>>> http://d-coding.com/2012/05/22/is-the-d-community-lacking-development-tools.html
>>
>> I agree with basically everything in that article.
>
> I would also appreciate any specific feedback

I too agree with what you write!

* do you think such project is worth the effort?

Absolutely! A huge undertaking, but if successful, extremely
valuable for the future of D.

* do you feel that D ecosystem lacks tool support?

I do. I believe the toolset is important for any serious language.

* Does this prevent many from using D?

I definitely think it does! It prevents me from doing anything
other that simple experiments. I'm an IDE guy - I just won't do
real work without a good IDE.

* which tools are needed most?

A good IDE is top prio for me, but an IDE should include a lot of
other tools (compiler, refactoring, debugging, profiling, build
tool, testing framework etc). Also a GUI library, as others have
mentioned.

* Which may be needed, but are not a high priority for you?

Don't know. The more tools the better! ;)

* was this post useful?

Not in itself, but the topic is imporant and the DCT is a great
initiative.

* What could I change to make future posts in the series better?

No comment.

* should I add commenting on my blog, or dlang forum is better
for that?

dlang is fine.