GitHub for Windows

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Thu May 24 01:16:13 PDT 2012

On 24.05.2012 0:04, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Macs computers are the first laptops reliable enough to be handled as
>> an appliance - e.g. the sleep mode works well enough that I can
>> casually lift
>> the laptop off the couch while watching TV, open it, google for
>> something, and
>> close it, all within seconds. I _never_ got suspend to work reliably
>> enough with
>> other platforms.
>

> Windows 7 is better at suspend/resume than any previous Windows, but it
> still loses its shares randomly doing that, and needs rebooting.
>
> Win7 has enough problems that I'm forced to keep my old WinXP machine
> operating:
>
> 1. can't run 16 bit programs

DosBox for the win. Or VirtualBox or wahtever.

> 2. still sometimes fails when in a tight loop creating and deleting an
> exe file, even though disabling Defender helps a lot

Never seen this in the wild. Guess it's bad luck.

> 3. erratic issues with sharing directories. Sharing was simple with XP -
> one click to share, another to unshare. Win7 has a maze of dialog boxes
> and alternate ways of doing it, some work, some don't, and no feedback
> on whether it works or not.

It's because the concept of "share this" is too damn simple. (and
bogus). Any real network sharing requires users, ACL and so and so forth.

To be frank I always preferred running FTP or SSH server on Windows. Or
even Apache ;)
(though remote desktop is cool)

--
Dmitry Olshansky