dget - getting code from github

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu May 24 02:50:15 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 10:34 +0200, Paulo Pinto wrote:
[...]
> Every time I need to do something in an language without official
> package manager support, I curse myself.

On the other hand Debian, Fedora, FreeBSD, MacOSX, etc. already have
package managements systems. A problem is that Windows does not.

Experience shows (Maven, Gems, Hackage, ...) that having language
specific packaging and platform specific packaging causes strife.

Scala has made the bold move to go with platform packaging and working
with the platform teams so as to avoid the hassles seen by Java, Ruby,
Python, Haskell. Maybe this will lead to the first language specific
packaging that works in sympathy with the platform packaging.

> The uniform way of getting software distributed across operating
> systems is a great feature and it is a joy to integrate with CI
> systems.
>
> I even forgive Maven for all its quirks.

I like the Maven repository, I think Maven the build framework should be
banned, along with Ant. But then I would given my relationship with
Gradle and SCons (and Gant and Waf).

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk