dget - getting code from github

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu May 24 04:12:01 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 24 May 2012 at 10:50:57 UTC, Kevin Cox wrote:
> On May 24, 2012 6:43 AM, "Tobias Pankrath"
> <tobias at pankrath.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, 24 May 2012 at 09:50:33 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 10:34 +0200, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>> [...]
> package manager support, I curse myself.
>>>

>>> On the other hand Debian, Fedora, FreeBSD, MacOSX, etc.
>>> already have
>>> package managements systems. A problem is that Windows does
>>> not.
>>>
>>> Experience shows (Maven, Gems, Hackage, ...) that having
>>> language
>>> specific packaging and platform specific packaging causes
>>> strife.
>>

>> Platform specific package management is not enough for
>> development use.
> It only works, if you need the version the platform provides.
> And everyone
> must have the same platform to have the same version.
>>

> Yes and no, for actually using programs that use the language
> the system
> package manager is far superior because when you install an app
> it can also
> install the required packages in one go. (As opposed to having
> to go to the
> d package manager and get the right libs.  However you bring up
> the point
> of development.  If you look at the arch build system it has
> what you
> want.  You can write descriptions on how to download and build
> a package
> and then is it just as easy to install as a dget would be,
> however thee
> advantage is that you can still depend on these packages.
> Also, for
> switching versions all you have to do is change on variable.
> I'm sure
> there are things like this for other systems but I use arch and
> I see a
> solution to your problem.

When I worked at CERN, our team was making use of CMT for C++.

This is a Python+CVS build tool that is nicely integrated with
source
code repository and also takes care of dependencies and
versioning.

I never heard about it outside CERN.

Some information in case you want to read about it,
http://www.cmtsite.org/CMTDoc.html
http://lhcb-comp.web.cern.ch/lhcb-comp/support/CMT/cmt.htm

--
Paulo