dget - getting code from github

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Thu May 24 04:30:10 PDT 2012

On Thu, 24 May 2012 10:50:15 +0100, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 10:34 +0200, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> [...]
>> Every time I need to do something in an language without official
>> package manager support, I curse myself.
>
> On the other hand Debian, Fedora, FreeBSD, MacOSX, etc. already have
> package managements systems. A problem is that Windows does not.
>
> Experience shows (Maven, Gems, Hackage, ...) that having language
> specific packaging and platform specific packaging causes strife.

Odd.. a language specific package support would mean /one/ set of
steps/documentation/etc for telling new users how to do it, instead of a
vague "check your platform documentation" or similar.  Plus, having
language specific tools means complete control of how it works, and what
it does, etc.. rather than having to work around someone else's design
decisions.