dget - getting code from github

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Thu May 24 07:43:39 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 23 May 2012 at 23:14:19 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Anyone want to implement such? It ought to be fairly
> straightforward, and will be a nice timesaver for a lot of
> people.

Oh, and maybe I'm a bit to pessimistic on that, but a project
any design« probably won't offer much functionality over
»git/hg/<xyz> clone <url>«, and thus is likely to rather be a
needless complication than much of a timesaver.

With dget in place, you either still need to go to the respective
hosting site to find out that the project even exists, or we need
a central list of available libraries, in which case we are
already halfway towards a package manager. Now add versioning, a
very ubiquitous concern, into the mix…

By the way, if you really just need to fetch the latest source
tree for a GitHub project, you don't even need a local Git
client. Just click the big »ZIP« button (taking you e.g. to
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/zipball/master)
– works for branches and tags as well.

David